Wednesday, April 23, 2008

juno (don't read if you don't want to read spoilers)

So I know people either love or hate Juno. I realize that it is the most unrealistic teen pregnancy movie ever. No sixteen year old would ever be that calm and be like "Oh yeah, I'm just gonna get some stretch marks, tear my vag, just to give the kid away." Don't think so. But I have to be honest, I do really like this movie. Because it's a happy movie. In the end, you feel so happy for Vanessa with her new baby and Juno and Bleeker. It's the most adorable movie ever. Bleeker is the only character that isn't in the movie much and doesn't have much development...or so you think. But it's so clever because the connection between Mark and Juno is obviously because Mark is pretty much the older version of Bleeker. (Common sense, duhhh Bateman is Cera's dad in Arrested Development so it makes it even easier to connect if you're fans of the show.) So it's so cute when Bleeker and Juno finally end up together. But all the characters are so well developed I don't think I hate any main character at all they're all so good. You're behind every one of them. And it's a great movie about a family. I was watching the special features of behind the scenes shiz on the movie and they call this family, the MacGuffs a "dysfunctional" family. I completely disagree. What's so dysfunctional about them? They have weird names like Juno and Liberty Bell? The dad's married to the step mom? That's like normal in today's society. And the way the whole family backs Juno. I seriously don't remember a Step Mother actually NOT playing an antagonist. I even think Brenda might even be my favorite character just because of how great she got down the "mom" role. Forget about the "step" part, as you learn from this movie the mom doesn't have to be biological. Plus every scene she's in she has an excellent line "Go fly a kite!" "Doctor's are satists that like to watch lower people suffer" (or something like that). Again, she is definitely the most developed step mom in a movie that I've ever seen that's not a witch or a bitch. And everyone is talking about the language of Juno...that's what makes or breaks this movie for most people that I know that have seen it. And yeah, most people didn't talk like that when you were 16 but uhhh you did have your own lingo between your friends right? Maybe not that clever or witty, but movies are a bit overexaggerated.

So I saw the movie originally in theatres and thought it was adorable but didn't love it, now watching it again, I understand it. It's not supposed to be realistic or taken seriously at all. It's just supposed to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and fall in love with the characters at the end.

No comments: